Bilboblog is a small application of micro-blogging in Php / MySQL I've made for the creation of this mini-blog. To ensure that everyone benefits, I share its source code which is under a free license.
What is a microblog?
A small definition found on Internet will help to better understand this word:
"The microblog is a derivate of the blog that allows you to send messages in a short format (less than 200 characters) and to share your knowledge with any people."
If you missed the starting of this mini-blog, it's possible to read it below (in french only):
Tux-planet launches his mini-blog.
Downloading and installing
You can download the latest version of bilboblog here. To install, you should simply follow the instructions of the INSTALL file, provided with the software.
Features of this version
Here is the list of key features:
- Incorporates management gravatars
- supports special encodings
- It has an administration interface for writing new articles or delete them
- There is a management system cache
- Manages Atom feeds
The source code
The full source code is distributed under the free License AGPLv3 (= Affero GPLv3). This one is the resumption of the GPLv3 with a slight change in order to adapt it to better networking applications.
- The terms of that license (AGPLv3)
- Any changes to redistribute the program under the same license
- To leave the link at the bottom of page to the author's website
Ideas for improvements
If you want to take part of the project, here are some ideas for possible improvements.
- Addition of a management system for multiple languages
- Addition of a management system plugins
- Creation of a Firefox's plugin to post new articles directly from the browser without going through the administration interface
- Creation of new themes, logo, buttons promotion
You should keep in mind that micro-blogging concept is based on very short articles and quickly writing. This mini-blog has been developed using 3 mains lines : safety, lightness and speed. Any changes or improvements should follow these rules to provide a quality application.